Dreams & Goals: My Tips To Make Things Happen

by - March 27, 2019


The magic behind the idea.

We are all guilty sometimes of saying 'I wish I could...' or 'If I had time/the opportunity/the motivation, I would...' - putting off ideas for projects we've had in our mind for ages. Anything can be a project: writing a novel, in my case, but it could also be start a YouTube channel, a new hobby, a big project like learning a new language or an instrument, singing up to a dance class... And having a lot of ideas is great, but we often get lost in the 'how to get there', sometimes giving up on the project because it seems like we simply can't accomplish it. And I want you to never think that again - here's how you can make things happen.

DON'T LEAVE IT 'TIL 'TOMORROW'
First thing's first: stop putting it off. If you keep doing that, the tomorrow you're envisioning may never come at all. You have to work now for that tomorrow, and you will never get there before you start. Does all that rambling make sense? In short: do it now, you'll thank yourself later. Let's take my example. I keep seeing myself with my novel in my hand, finished, edited and printed. I imagine the satisfaction I will feel, the pride in showing people that project that has matured over time and that has come from a beginning to an end. This, however, will never happen if I don't finish the novel. I will never experience that happiness and sense of achievement if I don't work here and now to make it a reality. If I pushed it to tomorrow, then tomorrow might be next year, the year after - fast forward and it's 2050, and the novel still hasn't been written. Oh well. Time flies and we are so busy nowadays that we always postpone things, but if you get those creative juices flowing, don't leave them for later - use them now.


TAKE IT IN STRIDE
The other trap we may fall into, is to want everything finished there and then. As if we had a magic wand that would turn an idea into *tadaaa* a beautiful, finished, successful project. Unfortunately, there is no magic spell for that (and I would know, I'm a Harry Potter fan.) The magic is what you make of it, what your brain, your spirit, and your body works hard to achieve. For bigger projects, like learning a language, you won't get there in a day. And I think it is a pity when people give up on something they love, and have spent a lot of time on, because of the frustration of not getting there, where their mind wants them to be. This is especially true for perfectionists - you try, and try again, and are never satisfied, so you eventually give up or lose your interest in what you were doing. 
This is why taking things in stride is important. You go step by step in your project, tick off these steps in your list, and your project will grow little by little. That's how the saying goes: patience is a virtue. Enjoy the process to reach your end goal, because when you think about it, you will have spent a lot more time on that process. When the project is done, it's finished. You have to find content in the little steps, in the progression you see every time you work on your idea - every time you write a new chapter of your book, or every time you master a new dance move, or every time you understand a little more of the language you're learning. If you have a positive mindset about the steps that you are undertaking in your journey, your motivation will keep steady - and even grow as you get closer and closer to your goal!

REMEMBER WHY YOU ARE DOING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE
When you lose motivation, or you've spent too long on one thing, and it has become a little mechanical in your routine, you may lose focus. You may forget why you are actually doing it. Why am I learning this language again? I may never use it anyway. Why do I keep writing the bloody novel? It's not like it's gonna get published. It is normal to ask yourself these questions sometimes - unless you are truly passionate about something and you think about it night and day, you will feel like what you are doing doesn't serve you anymore. In these cases, always remember why you started. Was it to challenge yourself? To stay healthy? To relax after your work day? To tell a story to the world? Remind yourself of the positive thoughts that fueled your creativity when you started. You will realise that what you do has a meaning - it always does. What is meaningful to you will carry you through and give you the motivation you feel like you have somehow lost in the process. This actually also applies to jobs too, I think. We rarely do things out of the blue, and nurturing, healthy projects are those that you find meaning in, that fit in your life for a reason. 


How do you make your projects happen? What tip would you give to someone to start off their journey?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

21 commentaires

  1. The 'don't leave it until tomorrow' is honestly the biggest one. I have just come back from a long weekend and have found that my to-do list has piled up ridiculously - and now I'm spending the whole night working on it. I know that if I leave it until tomorrow then I will completely lose the motivation, which is never good.

    Have a great week :)
    Amy x Wandering Everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to work through your to-do list, you can do it! And you'll feel so good afterwards. xx

      Delete
  2. Start now and go step by step are the most important things, I agree. And patience. Nothing great was ever build in a day.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Everything takes time, that's just the process and we should be at peace with it :) xx

      Delete
  3. Great advice! I think it's important to believe, work hard and take steps toward your goals.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that it's so important to remember why you're doing it in the first place! Sometimes it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle of things and you forget your main goal and why you started it! Thanks for sharing these tips.

    -Emily | www.TheEmilyEdition.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true! I'm glad you enjoyed the post Emily, hopefully it inspired you to chase your dreams and ideas! xx

      Delete
  5. Remebering why you've started is a great tip. When things take a long time to achieve, not forgetting the reason(s) that led you to start it is so important. We have so many distractions and it's so easy to lose track and/or motivation.
    Love your post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have a lot of distractions that can hinder our progress, so that's a good point Anca! xx

      Delete
  6. These are all such great tips! I was once told that to get anything done, you need to not overthink it and just start it. To me, it was great advice because I can be a perfectionist and I tend to not want to do something unless I know I'll do it perfectly. The problem is, unless you start doing something and do it often, it's rare you're going to do it perfectly anyway so why not just start it and see what happens. Starting something and making it happen, even if it doesn't go perfectly is better than being paralyzed with fear that it won't happen well and doing nothing.

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach! Starting is the best way to do things. I can definitely relate to this! xx

      Delete
  7. Reminding ourselves of why we're doing things in the first place is a very good suggestion; sometimes we forget what our initial goals and intentions were! These are lovely photos of you, Julia - so feminine! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also a good way of figuring out whether you should carry on with it or not - sometimes, we give up for a reason. But most often, we should just use this to carry us forward with our plans! xx

      Delete
  8. Aw amazing tips Julia, I loved this so much! Absolutely stunning photos too, they are so magical and whimsical :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! xx

      Delete
  9. This speaks volume to me. For years I always procrastinate and kept putting off ideas even opportunities. Now one of my biggest regret is why I allow it to happen. I'm now working to better myself. Thank you sharing this read. Anyway, you look gorgeous and cute in your outfit <3

    Only Yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to procrastinate a lot too, but now I hate it haha! xx

      Delete
  10. I think this is one of my fav post of yours. Usually we have so many great idea, but the difference is in really making them real! Great inspiring post and beautiful pic - is Versailles right?

    Cate // 35mminstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cate! This place is actually the Parc de Bagatelle in the west of Paris, a true hidden gem! xx

      Delete
  11. Love your post baby! Thanks for share. Keep writing.

    Nahid | https://bestclicknow.com

    ReplyDelete

Disqus comment count