Wells, Somerset: England's Smallest City

by - November 01, 2017


Tiny city big cathedral.

Wells really is a tiny city. It got its title of City because it is home to a beautiful cathedral, but in truth it is the perfect size for a little weekend day out in the country. Let me show you in this post why Wells is worth a trip if you're around Somerset!

Of course, Wells Cathedral is the main attraction. Its square shape and flat top is very curious and unlike any other cathedral I've seen in England so far, but the facade is beautiful. The area is very peaceful as well, you won't see crowds of people flocking around like you would in Winchester for example. All the better to admire the building and its intricacies.


The Cathedral was built between the 12th and the end of the 15th century. The style is mainly Gothic, and the interior is particularly beautiful. It has been taken care of so well, that the building seems brand new. Unlike other cathedrals and churches which are often purposely very dark, Wells cathedral fills up with light, which makes it a warm and welcoming building to step into.


The arches of St Andrew's Cross in the far end of the nave are beautiful, and so it the ceiling in the Lady Chapel (last picture above.) The curves and arches all around the cathedral make it such a stunning structure to look at. I am a sucker for good symmetry and find it so aesthetically pleasing. Is it just me?
Right outside the Cathedral, you'll find Vicar's Close. An iconic little side-street, the oldest permanently inhabited street in Europe. And you'd probably want to live there too.


My friend Julie and I organised an impromptu photoshoot in Vicar's Close, because where could we find a cutest, more autumnal background for these photos?
I'm wearing my new midi skirt from New Look. I got it in the sales and it's the perfect autumn shade. Because it's such a statement piece I decided to wear with with a plain back top and my favourite jacket from H&M. A girl recently told me "you look like you're going hunting" as I was wearing this jacket, and yep I totally own this countryside look. (the hunting not so much though!)


For lunch, we went to a lovely pub in town called the City Arms. First of all: it is pink and very cute.


Inside, a whole part was dedicated to the restaurant and it was really cosy, with cushions and wooden tables. I went for lasagna, served with garlic bread (yum!) and a salad. It was really good and so filling that I didn't want anything for dinner that day.


The pubs and restaurants around Wells didn't seem very busy. It was lovely to spend time in a place that's not crowded, as opposed to Bath where the whole city centre is full of people most of the time. We had a really fun day out in Wells, saw a beautiful cathedral, and had a quiet pub lunch. Isn't that exactly how Brits do days out?

Have you ever heard of Wells? Do you enjoy visiting historical buildings?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

20 commentaires

  1. You look so lovely!

    http://cheremimi.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit is beautiful and goes so well with the scenery. It does really look like a peaceful and quiet place, that architecture is breathtaking xx

    Sending light & love your way,

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana! It was so quiet and that felt really nice, just walking around and seeing what was around us was lovely! xx

      Delete
  3. The cathedral looks so impressive! The high volted ceiling and stained glass are beautiful. I alos love the quaint street with the old houses. So pretty!

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was impressive, cathedrals are always beautiful works of art! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, this place really does look lovely! I've always found it funny how a cathedral can give a small location the title of 'city' haha :) Your lunch there looks delicious, mmmm garlic bread....

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this rule is quite funny, but it's great that it still applies and small places like Wells still retain their title of city - History stays intact! xx

      Delete
  5. ah I'd love to visit England one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible architecture!

    Federica
    www.federicadinardo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, this is like a dream for me!xx

      Delete
  7. The cathedral looks amazing, very light. I would love to visit it. I agree with you, a lunch at the pub, seeing a beautiful cathedral, and an even more beautiful city. Stunning pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look very light indeed! This is the perfect plan for a lovely day :) xx

      Delete
  8. Aw such a darling little place! I love the little cottages, they are so cute and such a beautiful place for a photoshoot :D I love your outfit! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! You'd love wandering around Wells I'm sure! xx

      Delete
  9. It looks so pretty there! I love small towns and I've never been to Wells, putting it on my to-visit list as I'm making a point to see more places outside of London. Adore your outfit too, it's got a vintage vibe that goes perfectly with the backdrop <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great time. Gorgeous snaps x

    Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven´t heard of Wells, but the Vicars Close looks adorable. I don´t think I would want to live their though, I guess the houses are pretty high maintenance.

    Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photo's are so beautiful. How do you get someone else to take good pictures of you? That's something that often just leaves me disappointed.

    www.bekaellen.com

    ReplyDelete

Disqus comment count