Review: Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Foundation

by - March 25, 2017


... aka the best foundation I've ever tried. 

Do I really need to tell you that the Magic Foundation is great? It is not going to come as a surprise. Charlotte Tilbury is one of the most-praised beauty brands at the moment, and it's easy to understand why. Luxury, quality products with a real sense of femininity (as defined by some specific standards that I happen to share, that is). 
All I have read about this foundation appeared to be positive, so as I was looking for a new, good quality foundation to invest in, I decided to pick it up. It is quite important to choose your foundation wisely, and for this one I was lucky enough to try it out before I got the full bottle - I used my cousin's for a couple days during our vacation in London, and I was so impressed by the finish and the longevity that on our last day in the city, we went to the Covent Garden shop and I finally bit the bullet. 
So, let's see bit by bit why this foundation is the best I've ever tried...


Application and Finish
I always use a beauty sponge to apply my foundation, and this works great with the Magic Foundation. You don't need a lot of products to cover the whole face, and it applies really easily. The finish is super natural - it genuinely looks like you're not wearing anything. The coverage is quite light, but could be medium if you build it up a little. It covers little imperfections but if you have scars or bright pimples to hide, you'll need to top up with concealer. 
What I like about the natural finish is that it gives your skin a bright finish - not glowy or overly radiant, but just... well, natural, as I already said twice before. See how impressed I am by natural finishes. I'm not a fan of the whole heavy makeup/Kardashian look, so this foundation is simply perfect for me.

Longevity
If you have combination or oily skin, you know the struggle of finding a product that won't make your skin shine bright like a diamond after sitting two hours on your skin. I'd say if you go towards high-end brands, chances are foundations will work better with oily skins that drugstore foundations do (this might not always be true, but that's what I found in my experience). The Magic Foundation has an awesome staying power, it doesn't move at all on the skin. Of course, oily skin will get a bit shiny, that is unavoidable, but it doesn't look as bad as you'd expect it.

Packaging and Shade Range
Glass bottles are my favourite when it comes to foundation, they feel more sturdy and clean than plastic packagings. The pump is really practical because it saves you from creating a mess, and it helps measure the quantity of product you need - two pumps of foundation are enough to cover my whole face. 
When I went to get the foundation, I really wanted to get the closest match to my natural skin tone. It's always been a struggle because for some reason, tan shades always come out orange. That bugs me a lot. And I surely didn't want to spend £30 on a mismatched foundation! The range is quite good, you have different undertones, although there is a lot more choice for lighter skins. Always make sure you pick the right undertones for you - whether you have yellow or pink-toned skin does change everything. Also, if you can, don't order online and go to the shop to see for yourself. I went to the Charlotte Tilbury shop in Covent Garden and tried two different foundations on my cheeks to see what was the best. Also, the light in shops is always, always rubbish - don't be afraid to go outside and check at day light what the foundation looks like on you. I literally had a sales assistant come and hold a mirror for me outside the shop on a freezing February day, but it was all worth it because I got the perfect shade for my skin haha. Anyways, if you're considering to get the Magic Foundation, don't worry about shades: you'll most likely find the good match for you!
*

I am really happy with the Magic Foundation so far. It's all I thought it would be, and it was well worth the investment! I do think now that investing in the right products can make a big difference. A bottle of foundation often lasts a while, so if you want a really good product that you'll be happy to use every time you do your makeup, this might be just the one for you!

Charlotte Tilbury, Magic Foundation, £30 (I own shade n.6)

Have you tried the Magic Foundation? What's your favourite foundation at the moment?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

14 commentaires

  1. I do enjoy my Dior Cushion, but it is not the end to my holy grail foundation search, if you know what I mean. The CT one sounds nice, but not for me. I prefer matte over natural.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean! I can't wait to hear/read your thoughts about the foundation in detail. And yes the Magic Foundation is definitely more on the natural side! xx

      Delete
  2. The natural finish is ideal, especially when spring/summer helps us to naturally 'glow' that bit more anyway, haha. Also, I'm so drawn in by Charlotte Tilbury packaging haha, isn't it beautiful?!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, natural finishes are always the best, and the best for your skin in general. CT packagings are the best, honestly I wish packagings were not so important but they really are! xx

      Delete
  3. I did really like this for a while but seem to have fallen out of love with it - I'll have to give it another go and see if it still works for me :)

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's weird! Maybe it's just because you've preferred using other products for a while. I'm sure if you pick it up again you'll love it just as much as you did before! xx

      Delete
  4. I've had a couple of testers of this and it's seriously so lovely! I especially love the fact that it really does stay put all day. I would've definitely made the splurge already if it wasn't for the fact that I'm too terrified to order it online without getting to swatch the shades next to each other, since none of the testers I've got seemed to be a perfect match for me... xx

    http://www.shakespeareandsparkle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does stay all day without moving on the skin! I am yet to try it on really warm days, it might change a little under hot temperatures but that would be normal anyways. Yes it's definitely better not to buy it online, getting the wrong shade would be a pain! xx

      Delete
  5. Aw it sounds so lovely, I adore a natural finish! I long to try something by Charlotte Tilbury, the packaging alone is enough to tempt me and I loved your review, definitely convinced me haha! :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much you like pretty packagings haha, but this is also great if you're looking for a natural, 'barely there' makeup look! xx

      Delete
  6. I really want to try this foundation, it looks amazing!

    Vanessa x | www.springlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This foundation sounds glorious! Charlotte tilbury is definitely a band wagon i'd like to jump on!

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try out some products from the brand, they won't disappoint! xx

      Delete

Disqus comment count