Review: Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Red Carpet Red

by - May 18, 2016


I finally did it. I got a Charlotte Tilbury lipstick! I had been convinced to buy one long ago, after reading half a dozen very positive reviews on various blogs, talking about how gorgeous the shades were and how good the quality was. When I went to England, I knew I'd come back with my own little rose gold bullet! I chose a Matte Revolution lipstick in shade Red Carpet Red and here are my thoughts about it, honest and (I hope) comprehensive, as usual.

Packaging
Do I need to tell you how stunning this lipstick looks? Charlotte Tilbury is high end so obviously, they take great care of their packaging. The lipsticks are rose gold (they know how to appeal to beauty bloggers!), with the logo of the brand carved in the cap. This definitely feels sturdy and good quality, with high-end brands a good part of the price goes into packaging so it's always a good point when the brand does pay attention to it. 

Shade and formula
I went for a classic red shade, because I didn't have any and wanted something different. Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks are very drawn towards nude/pink shades, at least that's the impression I got when I visited the shop. This colour really stood out to me, and the formula is also something very different from my usual finishes. The lipstick is described as follows: 'A cashmere cream texture with a soft-matte finish, enriched with papaya and orchid. Lips appear fuller, wider & lit from within thanks to 3-D glowing pigments.' The texture is indeed super creamy, and if you avoid wearing matte lipsticks because you fear dry lips and uncomfortable feeling on the lips (like I did), you should try out the Matte Revolution lipsticks. The finish isn't completely matte, it still has that bright - but not glowy - look to it, so it doesn't dry out the lips at all, even after a long day of wear. I was really impressed with how easily it is to apply and how good the formula is. Plus the shape of the bullet is so much more practical to embrace the shape of the lips than the usual lipstick shape that we get, they should all be cut like that! 


Is it worth the hype?
This is always a delicate question, because with this type of product you can't help but think that nothing really justifies the price of it. To really answer, I should try out other matte lipsticks from different brands and price ranges, and see if this one stands out. However this is the only matte lipstick I've tried in years so I can't really compare to cheaper ones that are good quality as well. All I can say is that I haven't been disappointed, the quality is great and I was even surprised at how good the staying power is - the colour doesn't disappear from the centre of the lips after hours of wear, as most lipsticks unfortunately do. One could argue that any lipstick that passes the £20 mark is overpriced anyways, but for that you get really good quality, a 100% cruelty-free product and a beautiful addition to your collection. So I feel like it is definitely worth its price, and I'd love to get one or two more from that collection!

Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Red Carpet Red, available in Harrods, Selfridges and Charlotte Tilbury's own shop in Covent Garden.

Have you ever tried Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks? What are your thoughts on high-end products in general?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

31 commentaires

  1. I've been very interested in Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks lately. I've been seeing them on so many blogs and I, like you had assumed that as they were 'matte', they would in turn be quite drying. I really love the idea of matte lipsticks, but had previously been put off with the misconception that they were drying.
    I think I'm going to have to go ahead and purchase one of these; not only do they sound like a great product, but the packaging is gorgeous too! xx

    http://blossomingdaydreams.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not drying at all, they are semi-matte I'd say! They are definitely gorgeous and good quality products :) xx

      Delete
  2. I don't like to buy makeup without watching, so no CT makeup for me so far. It isn't available in Germany.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not available in France either - they must love being quite exclusive somehow! xx

      Delete
  3. I am soooo interested in CT and might look into it when I'm in London! This lipstick looks gorgeous, I love the rich colour!
    Hope you are having a nice week.
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gorgeous, I'm sure this shade would suit you! :D xx

      Delete
  4. what a beautiful shade of red!! i love this !

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This color is beautiful!! I know her lipsticks, well everything from her line, is expensive but it feels like a treat when you purchase it! I think it seems worth the hype. It's a beautiful red!
    JennyLovesBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her products do feel like a treat, and sometimes it is nice to treat yourself, right?! ;) xx

      Delete
  6. I am seriously lusting over Charlotte Tilbury products, however like Anne I don't want to buy anything without swatching, they are not the cheapest :) Red carpet is a gorgeous red, however I can't say that it is matte like the name suggest, maybe that's why it is not really drying :) x

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always better to swatch lipsticks before getting them, that's for sure! It is a semi-matte lipstick, it appears glossier in the photo because of the light but it is really not glossy in real life :) xx

      Delete
  7. The brand should really be available worldwide :( Yeah it is definitely a bit risky to buy it from swatches online, always better to see the colour in person and how it matches your skin! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh that shade of red! It's so beautiful and looks stunning with your skin tone :D I still can't get over the packaging either and love that it's not drying like other matte lipsticks! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Yep it's really not drying at all, a great pick! xx

      Delete
  9. I'm obsessed with the packaging of all Charlotte Tilbury products, they are all so beautiful! I love this shade on you :)

    Rebecca Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte Tilbury products are everything <3 xx

      Delete
  10. As I get older I find I appreciate matte lipsticks so much more..... being younger I would have died wearing one, but now I feel they look a lot more polished then gloss. This shade is absolutely gorgeous!

    Megan
    Denton & Lou 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that we get more interest in matte lipsticks as we grow up and get more into makeup I think, it looks more sophisticated I guess! xx

      Delete
  11. I love that shade of red on you. I love how it pops and stands out really nice. I'm going to check this product :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA // FROM BORACAY WITH LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, a thorough review on that lipstick was exactly what I needed! I have a formal event coming up and I need a long-lasting and matte red lipstick and this seems right up my alley! The shade looks gorgeous on you! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the review's useful to you then! I'm sure it'd look great on you, and it is super long lasting! xx

      Delete
  13. Oh my, this looks like such a beautiful colour and it looks amazing on you! Although a little pricey, CT is really great xx

    Sam // What I Know Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! It is a beautiful colour, red never goes out of style! xx

      Delete
  14. ahaha! i am so glad you got one! this shade looks amazing on you! it's such a statement red and it's beautiful<3
    enjoy your trip to italy!!!!

    xx from Brighton
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope | youtube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Cate! I had the BEST TIME in Italy, watch out for an upcoming post about it! xx

      Delete

Disqus comment count