Why You Should Wear What You Want

by - October 06, 2018


Especially if it involves cute animal prints.

This post is inspired by an old story of mine. A few years ago, possibly four or five years, when I was in high school, me and a friend spent a lot of our free time browsing the shops after school. One day, we went into an Etam store (it is a French brand, but still linked here if you are curious). I found the most adorable long-sleeved shirt. It was soft, cream-coloured, and best of all: it has tiny sausage dogs all over it. Now, I swooned over the shirt, but as I showed it enthusiastically to my friend, she said it was kind of ridiculous. Don't worry, she's great though and I am happy to say we are still friends to this day (and she still questions my fashion choices from time to time.)
For a few weeks, I debated whether I should get the shirt or not. My heart said yes, my friend's advice was no. I ended up never getting the shirt. And as sad as it may be, I still think about this cute little sausage dog shirt from time to time, mentally slapping myself for not getting it because I would still love it today.
I wanted it, it made me happy, and these I think are pretty good reasons to wear something. That it makes me feel happy and confident.


So when I saw this cute pug blouse in Bershka, I fell in love instantly. I mean, tiny little pugs hiding behind the stripes of the shirt and showing their butts, what else could I ask for? So I decided to get it straight away. However, as I was trying it out, I thought about the pros and cons (well, more the cons) of wearing this shirt. Am I too old to wear a shirt with pugs on? Will I look silly? Will it clash with my usual style?
Then I checked myself and realised that the second-thoughts I had were nonsensical. I was held back by what others might think about what I wear - which, in my book, is the silliest thing to worry about. We feel our most confident when we wear outfits we like, that bring out our identity and allow us to express ourselves. The way we dress can be part of who we are. So, as we should never be afraid to show our personality and our true selves to those we interact with, we should never refrain from wearing the clothes we enjoy, and that would make us comfortable and happy. I smile every time I see this little shirt, and will keep wearing it. So if you like wearing all the colours of the rainbow, do it. If you want to wear all black all the time, go ahead. And if you like shirts with quirky animals all over, wear them too. We would twin and that would be awesome. 


What is the one outfit you have that makes you happy?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

22 commentaires

  1. That shirt is AMAZINGG!!! Who wouldn't want a shirt with pugs on it? I'm all for wearing what you feel most comfortable and confident in! :)

    Erin || MakeErinOver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, it's too cool not to wear it! xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely shirt! I totally agree with you, everyone should wear what they want!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is a super cute shirt on you babe; such a fun print and definitely a conversation-starter! Totally agree with your thoughts on wearing whatever we fell like by the way Julia :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow girl you look so stunning and smart
    new post
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2018/10/chicken-republic-nigeria.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this lovely comment Melody :) xx

      Delete
  5. I agree with one little exception: I do have kind of a dress code at work, and wearing what I want there could have consequences. But outside the office I do wear whatever makes me happy. Which is usually the most comfortable option available, ha!

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh of course, work is another thing! I can't wear just anything at work either, and at the weekend I often reach for more comfy clothes too! xx

      Delete
  6. Your shirt is the cutest, I love it!! I really love this, some of the pieces I wear most often are pieces that do not fit my usual, or my idea of my usual style :D I would definitely twin cute animal shirts with you, I have a swan print one, maybe not just as cute but cute enough haha! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh your swan shirt must be so cute! xx

      Delete
  7. Aww, I'm sorry you ended up not getting the shirt. It sounds like it would have been cute! We should all wear what we love!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was such a mistake! But the great thing is that I learned from it! xx

      Delete
  8. Love that you got this pug shirt and went for it because you wanted without letting these other thoughts take over.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaah I loooove your shirt I need it, and I have a shirt with fish on that I love also! I totally agree with wearing what you want as well - it's a way of expressing your personality...

    franalibi.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animal-print shirts are just the best! xx

      Delete
  10. I agree with you, our clothes shows our personality. While I think the shirt is so cute and I think it looks great on you, I wouldn't wear something like this because it's not who I am. These differences make us unique and the world a better place to be in. I did love seeing you very cute shirt. Also, I don't think 20+ or 30+ or even 70+ comes with its set of rules regarding clothing. Show off your style.

    As for work clothes, I saw it in the comments, I' used to wear a dark suit (skirt and blazer) with a pink frilly blouse or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand your point Anca! And it's definitely a way of making each of us unique. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on here! xx

      Delete
  11. TOTALLY agree with you - do what you want and what makes you happy! Also, loving this outfit!

    -Emily | www.TheEmilyEdition.com

    ReplyDelete

Disqus comment count