A Spring Day in Warwick, England

by - April 23, 2017


A town that I just added to my 'cute English towns' list.

A couple weeks ago my friends Jenn, Alberto and I went to spend the day in Warwick. I'd heard about the castle and the old, typical English landmarks, and that's all I need to know that I would love the place. We had the best day, filled with sunshine, cute house spotting and silly photos. 

The first thing we visited when we arrived was to visit St John's House Museum, which is the first major place that you see as you come from the station. It is a beautiful 17th-century house that once used to be a school. Inside, you'll find various collections such as a beautifully recreated Victorian classroom, old toy collections, a Victorian kitchen, and the second floor is dedicated to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment of Fusiliers, which contains beautiful collections of army medals, military costumes and other objects relating to the regiment. 
The museum is very interactive, and we had a great time learning about the displays and trying on military jackets and hat. The staff there is really friendly and helpful. As we were the first people who entered the museum that day, we had the military museum for ourselves and the curator of that part told us about the history of the Fusiliers, giving us lots of details about the exhibition. I highly recommend visiting St John's House if you are in the area, and don't forget to make a donation (the entry is free, but helping small museums is a good way to show your support so that they carry on welcoming people and improving their displays.)


After the visit and happy to have learnt some new things, it was time to walk to the town centre and get some lunch. We all went for a good full English breakfast at the local pub, which is always a treat! The town centre of Warwick is rather small, but you'll find beautiful buildings at every corner. It was a joy to explore the narrow streets and peak through the windows of these old houses, pointing at our favourites and wishing they were ours.
If you visit Warwick, have a look at the Lord Leycester Hospital, a beautiful set of timber-framed buildings, dating back to the 14th century. In Elizabethan times, it was used as a place of retirement for old soldiers. The state of preservation of these buildings is exceptional, and you can still visit them today - in fact, you can even hold your wedding reception there. How cool is that?
Also notice the beautiful Norman walls and gates that still surround the town...


If you go around town a little more, you'll finally stumble upon the most famous building in the county: Warwick Castle. It dates back to Norman times, built by William the Conqueror in 1068. From medieval times to the Victorian era, the castle has been preserved and inhabited. Today, it is a major place to visit, and has been turned into what seems like a mix between a museum and a theme park. They seem to have made it such a big attraction, and the crowds were a little off-putting. 


If you don't have enough time to explore the castle or simply don't want to have to navigate through the numerous families and pushchairs, walk a little further away and go to the Mill Garden, a private garden located at the end of the prettiest residential street you'll ever see. It is a small garden opened to the public by the owners in exchange of a little fee. You can sit there, near the Avon, and take the prettiest shots of the castle. 
Make your way through Mill Street, along the beautiful cottages. At the end of the street, spot the little pink house, and there you'll find the entrance to the (not so) secret garden.


After having taken the perfect Instagram shots, we made our way to St Nicholas' Park, a big park crossed by the river. You can go for a walk, pet as many dogs and you can, have a picnic, rent a boat on a nice day for a romantic date, or, like us, just lie down near the river and soak up the warm spring sun. And notice how on boat dates, it's always the guys who row row row the boat, gently down the stream...
We sat near bunches of bright yellow daffodils and I couldn't resist taking dozens of pictures. They are my favourite flowers because each year when they grow, spring comes along with them.


Before getting back home (and staying stuck between Birmingham and Northampton for ages - rail problems are the worst) we went back to the pub for a little afternoon pick-me-up of brownies and ice cream. 
We had the nicest day, in the nicest little town, and I couldn't recommend Warwick more to take a step back in time and immerse yourself in that old-fashioned English atmosphere that I cherish so much!

Have you ever been to Warwick? What is your favourite destination for a little day trip?

Lots of love,
Julia x

You May Also Like

15 commentaires

  1. I have been to Warwick once, ages ago. I admit I can't remember anything, but your pictures are lovely. And you seem to have had the perfect spring weather.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you ever go back it would actually be a good place to go for a daytrip with children! And yes, we had the best weather. It doesn't happen very often in England! xx

      Delete
  2. Aw how beautiful! This place looks so cute, quirky and right up my street, you have captured it so beautifully Julia! Honestly your blog is my favourite as I have found so many adorable places in the UK that I would never have thought to visit beforehand :D ohhh the flowers! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you would definitely love it Elizabeth, and Oscar would have lots of fun in the castle! Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoy my content and I hope to make you discover many other places in the future :D xx

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a cute place for a day trip! I live in Wales so love popping to the Pembrokeshire coast if the weather is good.

    http://amyevans.blog - Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Wales is such a lovely country, I've only ever been to Cardiff but I'd love to see the coast as well! xx

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever really been to Warwick, other than to visit Warwick Castle as a kid, but it looks so amazing! It's only a couple hours away from me so I might have to visit during the summer sometime!
    xo April | April Everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The castle seems great, but even just hanging around the town itself is great! So many lovely sights. If you can, make sure you go this summer, it won't disappoint :D xx

      Delete
  5. Oh I just adore Warwick, isn't it the most beautiful and quaint place?! I've only explored it for like an hour or two though, as most of my time was taken up at Warwick Castle - so glad to hear you liked it there too!! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a beautiful place! The castle seems like it'd take a whole day to visit, but it can get really busy I guess, so not the most relaxing unfortunately if you're looking for a quiet day out! xx

      Delete
  6. I was sure there will be a picture of those cute houses, they are so cute and near to the castle. I liked them as much as I liked the castle when I was in Warwick. I'm glad you have a lovely time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anca! Oh yes, these houses were too pretty to be ignored! I always imagine what would happen if the owner peaked through the window as I'm taking photos of houses, now that would be awkward haha! xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany, the skirt is from New Look - but from a couple years ago though! xx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful picture! Looks like you had great weather! I've never been to Warwick, i must visit sometime!

    <3
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Disqus comment count